This afternoon Jason and I are going to a memorial service for Bob Burleson, a truly great man. I am so glad to have known him.
I am in tears as I write this — I looked through just some of my photos of him and had to stop.
Here he is leading a field trip on his prairie restoration in the fall of 2007 — that was a glorious day.
Bob and his wife Mickey were deeply involved in conservation throughout Texas, including:
- The creation of the Guadalupe Mountains State Park
- Restoring several hundred acres of Blackland Prairie on their property near Temple
- Spending decades collecting seeds and mapping the few remaining prairie remnants
- Founding members of the Native Prairies Association of Texas (NPAT)
- Serving as member of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission
Read even more here. Bob always shared his vast prairie knowledge freely with everyone. I learned so much from him. I hope that I can accomplish even a little of what he did during my life.
I will really miss him.