Hi there and thanks so much for joining me on the Altenew x Daily Marker Watercolor Therapy Blog hop! I’m so glad you’re here.
I think we can all use some watercolor therapy right now — who’s with me? I’ve got a clean and simple card along with a video to share featuring one of my favorite techniques: mark making. Check it out:
Here’s the finished card so you can see it better!
I love those cheery rainbow colors, but you could also do this in a monochrome — blue would be so soothing.
There are no mistakes with this technique — for example, I dropped my brush and messed up one of my panels and then just cut a strip of it to use for the inside of the card: problem solved.
A few tips and tricks:
- Trim a stack of paper to the size of a card front so you have a bunch ready to go. Once I get in the flow of it I just don’t want to stop.
- Go for the biggest brushes you own. This will help you quickly cover a card and will also give you juicier blends. I used this large flat brush that’s about a half inch wide.
- The marks you make will change with the shape of the brush — can’t wait to try it again with a filbert and a round.
- Try loading your brush with clean water and making a stroke next to a mark you’ve already made — it’s so cool to see watercolors working their magic!
- Think about the placement of the colors so you don’t get a muddy mix — for example, orange next to blue will give you brown.
- Put on music or a podcast and color away.
Altenew is giving away a $30 gift certificate to 6 lucky winners and Kathy from The Daily Maker is also giving away a goodie bag(worth $30) to 4 lucky winners. Please leave a comment on the Altenew Card Blog by 5/6/2020 for a chance to win.
We’ll also draw a winner to receive a $15 gift certificate from the comments left on each designer’s blog on the blog hop list below. All winners will be announced on the Altenew blog on 5/9/2020.
Altenew has two special offers for you!
- 5/1/2020-5/3/2020: 40% off the Wonderful Watercoloring Class Bundle from 5/1/2020 at 12:01 AM EDT until 5/3/2020 at 11:59 PM EDT. Shop HERE! Not valid on previous purchases.
- 5/3/2020-5/4/2020: 20% off *All Alcohol Markers from 5/3/2020 at 12:01 AM ED until 5/4/2020 at 11:59 PM EDT. Shop HERE! Not valid on previous purchases. Excludes Artist Marker Refills.
Your next stop on the hop is the super talented Isha Gupta — I can’t wait to see what she’s made! Here’s the full list:
- Altenew Card Blog
- Kathy Racoosin
- Jaycee Gaspar
- Nina-Marie Trapani
- Kelly Griglione
- Norine Borys
- Vicky Papaioannou
- Therese Calvird
- Lydia Fiedler
- Caly Person
- Virginia Lu
- Kristina Werner
- May Sukyong Park
- Kelly Latevola
- Nicole Watt
- Amy Tan
- Maryam Perez
- Lisa Spangler < you are here!
- Isha Gupta
- Yoonsun Hur
- Mindy Eggen
- Nenette S. Madero
Note that these are my affiliate links so if you make a purchase by clicking the link below I’ll receive a small commission at no charge to you — thank you!
- Altenew 24 Pan Watercolor Set in Metal Case [Altenew | Ellen Hutson]
- Altenew Dotted Diamond Stamp Set [Altenew | Ellen Hutson]
Thanks so much for joining us and hope everyone stays safe out there! If you try this technique I’d love to see what you make — tag me over on instagram (@sideoats) so I can see! xo